It’s summertime! Have you thought about using Newspapers.com to find ideas, tips, and recipes to get you through the summer? The site has countless articles on summertime topics from across the decades.
Want to beat the heat? Learn some tips for keeping cool from these articles.
- “‘War Measures’ Helpful in Drive Against Torrid Blasts of Old Sol Are Cited by Kansas City Folks” (1922)
- “Ways to Keep Cool” (1890)—Pittsburgh residents give their tips for cooling off
- “Police Matron Starts New Fad: Get Your Butcher to Allow You to Stay in Ice Box if You are Warm—She Did” (1916)
Looking for some summer recipes? Look no further.
- Grilled Summer Fruit Compote (1996)
- Grilled Veggie Sandwich and Basil Butter (1996)
- Summer grapefruit recipes (1967)
- Summer Vegetable Salad, Corn Omelet, Raspberry Pie, Gooseberry Mint Relish, Vegetable Rice Ring, and Tuna Fish Souffle (1936)
- Summer vegetable recipes (1951)
Need some drinks to go with those summertime recipes? Find out how to make a variety below.
- A lemonade recipe from 1896
- Lemonade, Orangeade, Orange Ginger Ale, Grape Lemonade, Mixed Fruit Drink, and Iced Cocoa (1930)
- Portable Lemonade (1962)
- Iced Tea, Sun Tea, Sun Tea Punch, Iced Tea Punch, Delicious/Iced Tea, and Spiced Cranberry/Tea (1995)
- Iced Tea Coolers (1976)
- Summer drink recipes from 1903, including Mint Sangaree, Temperance Punch, Frosted Claret, Orange Frappe, Egg Phosphate, Golden Slipper, Perfait Amour, Frosted Coffee, Old Colonial, Farmer’s Ale, and Sassafras Mead
Planning on spending some time at the pool? Try the water games explained in these articles.
- “Most Land Games Can Be Played in Water: Try These” (1937)
- “Children’s Water Games Help Improve Swimming” (1967)
Putting together a picnic? Discover picnic ideas and tips from these full-page spreads.
- Macon Chronicle-Herald (Macon, Missouri), 1 Jul 1953, Page 14
- The Star-Democrat (Easton, Maryland), 17 Jul 1953, Page 24
Going to the beach? Get some inspiration for your sandcastles from these articles’ photos.
Last but not least, want to see pictures of puppies cooling off in summer? We’ve even got that too.
- “Aaaaah! Cool at Last!” (1952)
Get started with your summertime searches on Newspapers.com here.
2 thoughts on “Find: Summertime Ideas, Tips, and Recipes”
Interested in obits and items on Ward or Badgett in Mt. Vernon IL papers
I am having difficulty finding a newspaper called “The American Citizen”, publidhed in Washington County, Indiana by Thomas Collins from 1856-1857. Please help, thank you.
Comments are closed.