15 Dec 1922, Fri The Nebraska Farm Journal (Topeka, Kansas) Newspapers.com
Looking for household tips and tricks? It’s not a new phenomenon! Historical newspapers reveal that folks in past decades struggled with some of the same conundrums around the house that we do today—and wanted easy solutions just like us.
So we searched Newspapers.com™ to find 15 vintage hacks that claim to solve some common household predicaments that still give us grief!
1. How to avoid crying while chopping onions (1935)
Tip: Avoid crying while chopping onions (1935) 13 Apr 1935, Sat The North Adams Transcript (North Adams, Massachusetts) Newspapers.com
Tip: Use oven rack to cool baked goods (1940) 10 Mar 1940, Sun The Times Herald (Port Huron, Michigan) Newspapers.com
2. How to cool baked goods (1940)
Tip: Keep cut flowers fresh (1959) 13 Aug 1959, Thu The Gazette (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) Newspapers.com
3. How to keep cut flowers fresh (1959)
Tip: Easy way to measure shortening (1947) 12 Jun 1947, Thu Harrisburg Telegraph (Harrisburg, Pennsylvania) Newspapers.com
4. How to easily measure shortening (1947)
Tip: Use a straw to remove air from plastic bags (1959) 30 Nov 1959, Mon Valley Times (North Hollywood, California) Newspapers.com
5. How to remove air from a plastic freezer bag (1959)
Tip: Use a colander to prevent meat grease from spattering (1950) 23 Nov 1950, Thu Greensboro Watchman (Greensboro, Alabama) Newspapers.com
6. How to prevent meat grease from spattering (1950)
Tip: Avoid wrinkles in pants by hanging them by the legs to dry (1958) 30 Jan 1958, Thu Star-Phoenix (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada) Newspapers.com
7. How get wrinkles out of pants without ironing (1958)
Tip: Soak bowls used for dough in cold water before washing (1941) 03 Oct 1941, Fri Chattanooga Daily Times (Chattanooga, Tennessee) Newspapers.com
8. How to easily wash bowls used for dough (1941)
Tip: Use tissue paper for cleaning windows (1955) 23 Mar 1955, Wed Okemah News Leader (Okemah, Oklahoma) Newspapers.com
9. How to clean windows lint-free (1955)
Tip: Shake nuts and dried fruit with flour before baking (1958) 30 Jan 1958, Thu The Journal Times (Racine, Wisconsin) Newspapers.com
10. How to prevent nuts and dried fruit from sinking in baked goods (1958)
Tip: Use a small funnel to separate eggs (1941) 15 Apr 1941, Tue The Wagoner Tribuner (Wagoner, Oklahoma) Newspapers.com
11. How to separate egg whites and yolks (1941)
Tip: Water plants with ice cubes (1956) 02 Dec 1956, Sun The Wichita Eagle (Wichita, Kansas) Newspapers.com
12. How to water house plants without a fuss (1956)
Tip: Use a tea ball to season soups (1943) 07 Jan 1943, Thu Geneva County Reaper (Geneva, Alabama) Newspapers.com
13. How to lightly season soup (1943)
Tip: Remove extra grease from gravy (1949) 10 Jun 1949, Fri The Akron Beacon Journal (Akron, Ohio) Newspapers.com
14. How to remove grease from gravy (1949)
Tip: Use empty egg cartons as storage (1958) 08 May 1958, Thu The Decatur Daily Review (Decatur, Illinois) Newspapers.com
15. How to re-use empty egg cartons (1958)
Got any home hacks of your own? Share them with us in the comments! Or find more household tips and hints on Newspapers.com™.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for more historical content like this!
Like this post? Try one of these!